Released on September 19th this year, iOS 6 is the next major update to Apple iPhone and minor updates namely iOS 6.0.1 and iOS 6.0.2 were released weeks after. To upgrade to this all new Apple OS, the first thing you need is a compatible device, the list of which is given below:
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 4 (GSM)
- iPhone 4 (CDMA)
- iPhone 3GS
- iPad (3rd Generation) with Wi-Fi
- iPad (3rd Generation) with Wi-Fi and Cellular (Verizon)
- iPad (3rd Generation) with Wi-Fi and Cellular (AT&T)
- iPad 2 with Wi-Fi (Rev. A)
- iPod touch (4th Generation)
- iPad 2 with Wi-Fi Only
Initial release of iOS 6, iOS 6.0.1 and iOS 6.0.2 supports only above mentioned devices. Further, some of the above mentioned devices will also not be able to run all the features of iOS 6.
How to Upgrade to iOS 6, 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 through iTunes?
- Connect your device to iTunes on your PC.
- Launch iTunes Application and check for iTunes updates and make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes i.e. 11.0.1 installed on your computer. To check updates, Go to Help > Check for Updates.
- Back up the data on your device. Your device can either be iPhone, iPad or iPod. Disable iCloud on your device through Go to Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup, and turn off the iCloud Backup switch. After disabling iCloud on your device, right-click on your device in iTunes and select Back Up. This will back up your device on iTunes. If something goes wrong while updating the device, you can restore it back from iTunes.
- Under the summary tab of your device on iTunes, click on Check for Updates. iTunes will notify you about available iOS 6 updates.
- Click on Download and Update and wait for a while and your phone will be upgraded to new iOS 6 automatically.
How to Upgrade to iOS 6, 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 via Device itself (iCloud)?
You can also update your device to new iOS 6, 6.0.1, 6.0.2 with the help of your device itself by making use of your Wi-Fi connection. With the aim to update without connecting your device to iTunes: Go to Settings > General > Software Update. You will be notified about the new iOS 6 and asked if you want to download it.
Tap on Download and the download will start. After completing the downloading process, you will be asked to install it. Tap on Install Update and your device will be updated to iOS 6 or 6.0.1 or 6.0.2.
The thing you need to do while updating your device to iOS 6 is to remain patient. Do not interrupt the download and install process. Let your device install the updates and reboot and don’t interrupt it unless you are prompted to do so.
If you are worried to get your hands on iOS 6, just be watchful of when the device closes down completely to reboot. Leave it alone until you see a screen that signals you for action.
And that’s all – you will now be a part of the iOS 6 family.