Long gone are the days when people use to call each other up to talk. That has been replaced by the instant gratification of text messaging. With the emergence of the smartphones, text messaging has been taken to a completely different level. Those who do it swear by it. Everyone texts nowadays – from kids to the youth to office goers and even old people.
Text messaging is fun, and is a very convenient option. It allows you to communicate with people without taking away too much time from your busy schedule. By default, your iPhone will alert you every time you have an incoming message. And that might not be very convenient at all times. Wouldn’t it be so much better if you had the option of hiding iPhone 5 text messages from people? Especially those people from whom you like to keep your private life as far as possible?
With the iPhone 5, it is a possibility. Yes, you can actually hide your text messages from others. There are a few ways you can do it.
Here is how you can hide text messages on your iPhone without using any third-party apps:
- From your Home Screen, open ‘Settings’.
- Go to Notifications>Notifications Center>Messages.
- On the Messages Control panel, turn off the ‘Notification Center’ button (simply toggle the switch to Off).
- Then, under Alert Style, choose ‘None’. This will prevent any kind of alerts to your phone when you receive an incoming text.
- Set the Alert Tones to ‘None. This way, no audible sound will be made for an incoming text message. If you don’t want your phone to even vibrate, select ‘None’ under Vibration.
- Go back to the Messages Control Panel.
- Toggle the ‘Show Preview’ switch to Off.
- Also set the ‘View in Lock Screen’ switch to ‘Off’.
That is all. Your texts will now be hidden.
You can use third-party apps to hide your text messages as well. You need to jailbreak your iPhone to make use of such apps, however.
Cydia is one such app that you can use to hide your text messages. Here is how it works:
By using HideEmAll:
- After installing Cydia, open the app and type in ‘HideEmAll’.
- In the search results that will displayed, select HideEmAll and install it.
- From your iPhone’s Home Screen, go to ‘Settings’.
- Find HideEmAll and open it.
- Toggle the ‘Hide Text Messages’ switch to the ‘l’ option.
Your text messages will now be hidden till you toggle this switch back off.
By using BeyondSMS:
- Open the Cydia app, and type in ‘BeyondSMS’ in the search box.
- Choose BeyondSMS from the search results, and install it.
- Go to ‘Settings’ from your Home Screen.
- Tap the BeyondSMS icon to open it.
- Select the ‘Conversation Hiding’ switch, and toggle it to ‘On’.
- Go back to your Home Screen and open your ‘Messages’.
- From the top left corner, select ‘Edit’.
- Now, select the ‘Hide’ button beside the text messages you want to hide.
By using PrivateSMS:
- In the Cydia search box, type in ‘PrivateSMS’. Select and install it. In case the search results show multiple results with the same name, select the result which has a handheld drill icon.
- After the app installs, select ‘Restart Springboard’.
- Go back to your Home Screen (by pressing the Home button) and open Messages.
- Select ‘Edit’ from the top-left corner, and then ‘Lock’.
Your text messages will now be hidden from view.